Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your feelings on McNabb.......NOW?

Originally posted by Vote for Kalas
    IMO he gets the next 3 games to prove he is back to the level we expect.
    [/quote]

So if he sucks the next 3 games will you finally admit that he sucks?

Comment

I disagree. Kolb is the future and the Eagles will either start him next year or in 2009. McNabb is perfectly capable of being the bridge until he is ready IMO, but we need him and the rest of the team to execute better and more consistently and then we need to upgrade those positions to give him and the team more support.
      I disagree with you. If McNabb is only going to be a bridge to Kolb, then it makes more sense to trade him (as I have said in earlier threads), reap the cap savings, and gain the draft choices that his trade will bring. Feeley can be the bridge. We will go through one or two years of not being competitive, but we will be stronger in the future.
      "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

Originally posted by RipRap
        So if he sucks the next 3 games will you finally admit that he sucks?[/quote]

This might be the best course of action. Not for VFK but for Reid and Banner. If McNabb doesnt play the last 3 games, then there might be temptation next season to say "oh, he was recovering from an injury... we should see what he has this season."

UGH

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH
          I appreciate your post, VFK, I do. However, all the stuff about the rest of the team, you can pretty much throw out. Those are contributing factors as to why we lost today, true enough, but I am looking at McNabbs performance, as a focus here. I see things that have seen for a long time now, and my lack of confidence is in them improving greatly. I just don't think he is performing, himself, nearly at the level we need him to on anyting resembling a consistent basis. We need more from our QB, IMO.

If Reid's decision is to keep cNabb in there for the rest of the season I will TRY to stay as open minded as possible, and hope for signs of improvement.
          I agree it was not as good as I wanted to see either, but again he is our best option and the rest of the team needs to play better too for ANY QB to have a shot at winning anything here...The team is young, inexperienced and growing together...some units like the OL/CB/TE/S were struggling with injuries and/or more inconsistent play than expected.

McNabb clearly improved as the year went on peaking in the MN & 2nd Washington contests IMO...he showed his mobility was almost totally back and the team executed around him well. Even in the early games with our red zone problems, outside of the shredding of Detroit, the offense was driving pretty well under McNabb. The problem was the ST blew the GB game, the defense blew the Chicago game, the OL melted in the 1st NYG game etc.

In the Miami game, McNabb banged his thumb early and then left with the ankle issue...today he came back and is probably gearing back up to that MN/WASH level again. I expect a better game next week and moving forward as long as he stays healthy.
          Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Originally posted by RipRap
            So if he sucks the next 3 games will you finally admit that he sucks?[/quote]

It depends on what happens and why. Again, it is very easy to throw stones, but not always correct. McNabb has never sucked in his career; in fact most of his career has been at an elite level. If you think he sucks, so be it.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Originally posted by stocknowledge

I disagree. Kolb is the future and the Eagles will either start him next year or in 2009. McNabb is perfectly capable of being the bridge until he is ready IMO, but we need him and the rest of the team to execute better and more consistently and then we need to upgrade those positions to give him and the team more support.
              I disagree with you. If McNabb is only going to be a bridge to Kolb, then it makes more sense to trade him (as I have said in earlier threads), reap the cap savings, and gain the draft choices that his trade will bring. Feeley can be the bridge. We will go through one or two years of not being competitive, but we will be stronger in the future.
              The Eagles certainly could trade him, but that will only happen IMO if he stays healthy and plays well these last 3 games AND if they believe Kolb is ready to start.

IMO they do not believe that Feeley is good enough to start for any sizeable stretch and they are not as confident in him as they are in McNabb.

If Kolb starts next year, then they can trade McNabb and have Feeley if the season is lost early or Kolb gets injured...if Kolb is not ready to start next year McNabb comes back and plays until Kolb is ready. Feeley again will play backup in case of injury.

-Andy Reid

Comment

"However, all the stuff about the rest of the team, you can pretty much throw out. Those are contributing factors as to why we lost today, true enough, but I am looking at McNabbs performance, as a focus here."

To say "However, all the stuff about the rest of the team, you can pretty much throw out." IMO is like saying that the other 52 players are just bit players, have bit parts. This is exactly the kind of mentality that appears to many as trying to make it "all" about Mcnabb.

Mcnabb is also nothing more than a contributing factor!!!!!

And yes the QB is the most important position on the field, but not singularly more important then ST's or the entire D unit or the coaching staff, or even the 10 remaining guys on O (collectively). They all have to perform, on a consistent basis in order to win on a consistent basis.

And the fact of the matter is that all 5 phases QB, Coaching, O, D and ST's must click in order to be successful, and they haven't this year and that is why they are 5 and 8, not because Mcnabb sucks!

Single most important position --- Yes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but he is still only one man, only one of 53.

Personally I'll eat some crow cause I really did think that the talent on this team was good enough, but it isn't.

Good enough talent finds a way to win close games, not lose them. When a team is talented --- players will step up and win games by making plays --- nobody is stepping up on this team, including #5!!! At least not on any consistent basis.

And BTW-the thread title was a bit inciting and that is what got some peoples dander up..... 5 minutes after a tough loss I see

"Your feelings on McNabb.......NOW?

As if to say "we'll where are all you mcnabb supporters now after that crappy performance?" --- Maybe that wasn't the intent but IMO that's how it came across.

Again I'll make my position clear -- I have no problem with Mcnabb going (hell, I've seen more QB's come and go on this team then the years many of you have been fans) --- but only after It's proven that he isn't the best option for this team and that he will never be that option any more. And IMO that won't happen till we see how he plays next year. And I'm betting that the Eagles look at it the same way.

Comment

"As if to say "we'll where are all you mcnabb supporters now after that crappy performance?"

That was not my intention whatsoever. I DID want to guage how everyone was evaluating McNabb's performance, and see if any perceptions had changed, in a positive OR negative way.

Mine was negative, I make no bones about it. I was disappointed. And not simply in the loss, but by what I saw from McNabb himself. Everone else seems to be able to swallow that concept, but not you aparently, MD. I KNOW it's a team game. I am evaluating McNabb. I saw a guy who was still slow in making decisions, held the ball too long, took unnecessary sacks, was often off target, was dumping off short passes, lacked touch......so many things that were concerns, still are concerns, for ME. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

If you think the rest of the team stinks, that's fine, they probably do. But I don't see McNabb doing much to make them look BETTER, or himself look better.
                  http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Some of you guys love to quote the media-- here is one that is appropriate to this debate I think.........

"This wasted season is the result of a series of miscalculations. McNabb came back too soon to be at full go. That doesn't mean he will regain all the physical gifts that helped make him a special QB, but there is no doubt the injury hampered his mobility, which affected his decision-making, which in turn eroded his confidence.

McNabb's limitations were magnified by the lack of talent around him on the offense. Brian Westbrook is an exceptional player and will be excluded from another Pro Bowl only if there is a complete breakdown in the selection process. But the receivers, including injury-plagued tight end L.J. Smith, are ordinary at best.

Let's not even get into the play calling debate here. Even the most fervent anti-McNabb partisan will have to admit that Andy Reid and Marty Mornhinweg game planned and called plays as if McNabb were as healthy and effective as he was in 2004. So let's leave it at that: The coaches didn't factor in McNabb's physical limitations or the caliber of his wide receiving corps (which, of course, the coaches gave him in the first place).

Asked to carry the offense with one good leg and one good weapon, McNabb fell short.

The only thing surprising about that is that anyone finds it surprising"

Comment

Can't disagree that the whole team needs to be held accountable. While the D held the Vagiants to 16 points (for the second straight time), they didn't make the stops in some critical situations and the tackling by the secondary was plain atrocious. But to me, the number 1 culprit of this loss is the quarterback. McNabb was tentative all day, did not trust his receivers to get open, and held on to the ball way too many times. Plus, when he connected on the underneath chucks, too often the receiver had to make adjustments to catch the ball, which cost YACs. Hit the guys in stride and these chucks go for a lot (well, a little) longer. Simply no reason to take some of the sacks McNabb routinesly takes. I will say that he is still working his way back, and just because he is getting healthier does not mean all the rust is off. In a season that's lost, let McNabb get a rhythm and hope that you have him all the way back next year. This tream simply has too many pieces to start a rookie next year, so McNabb it is, for better or worse (and today was for worse).
                      Russian reporters to Bobby Clarke: Can you imagine hockey without fights?
                      Robert Earle Clarke's response: Can you imagine vodka without alcohol?

Comment

Can we put the following to rest?

Use of the terms:

- "McNabb Haters"
                        - "Anti-McNabb contingent"
                        - "McNabb Bashers"
                        - "People who think it's all McNabb's fault..."

Honestly, for the most part, we're a bunch of frustrated fans who want nothing more than to see McNabb succeed. To keep hearing the terms used above is an insult to my fan-dome (fanhood, fanness, whatever). I bleed green and have been hoping for a McNabb led SB winner since the Eagles drafted him. Are there some bashers out there? Perhaps a few....but please don't apply those labels to the 90% of Eagles fans on this board who feel like McNabb has lost it. Why does that make you a basher? a hater? Can we not criticize anymore?

I enjoy the debate of mobility, decision making, big play ability, etc., but too often it comes down to "bashing." Enough is enough.

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH
                          "As if to say "we'll where are all you mcnabb supporters now after that crappy performance?"

That was not my intention whatsoever. I DID want to guage how everyone was evaluating McNabb's performance, and see if any perceptions had changed, in a positive OR negative way.

Mine was negative, I make no bones about it. I was disappointed. And not simply in the loss, but by what I saw from McNabb himself. Everone else seems to be able to swallow that concept, but not you aparently, MD. I KNOW it's a team game. I am evaluating McNabb. I saw a guy who was still slow in making decisions, held the ball too long, took unnecessary sacks, was often off target, was dumping off short passes, lacked touch......so many things that were concerns, still are concerns, for ME. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

If you think the rest of the team stinks, that's fine, they probably do. But I don't see McNabb doing much to make them look BETTER, or himself look better.

Again all you want to do it seems is harp on #5 shortcomings -------- and "all the stuff about the rest of the team, you can pretty much throw out" sort of makes it seem, to me anyhow, that while you say you know it's a team game --- you're still on a #5 witch hunt as "THE" culprit.

And you can not fairly evaluate Mcnabb out of context or in a vacuum ---- you have to take into consideration ALL of the things that go into it. Which is exactly what you seem to want to do with this "all the stuff about the rest of the team, you can pretty much throw out" sort of thing.

Comment

When things were going well, McNabb got most of the praise and was rewarded with the largest salary. It was only fitting, because his position on the team is the most important, and he deserved the praise and the money for his play was stellar.

Now, when his play is what is the single primarily reason for the team's poor performance, he deserves the most blame.

Seriously, with good QB play, we would have won most of the close games that we lost.
                            "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

My take is McNabb has had a inconsistent year overall mostly due to injuries, his and the team's mixed execution and the transition the team is undergoing.

Despite that, the best team performances, outside of the NE game, have been with McNabb as QB this season and there are positive signs IMO.

Westbrook has had his best season. Curtis has shown he is a true starting WR. Tapeh and Buck have continued to show they play important roles. Thomas & Runyan overall have shown again they are PB level OT. Avant has improved as WR depth. Patterson, Ramsey & Bunk have become a very good DT trio. Gaither has locked down the MLB spot. Gocong has shown great ability as a LB and pass rusher. Cole & Thomas have improved again as DE. Mikell continues to prove his worth as S depth. Rocca has improved as the year has gone on. Dorenbos has solidified the LS job.

There are also some worrying signs with Dawk, Kearse, Howard, Spikes, Herremanns, Jackson, Considine, James, Lito, Brown(s), LJ, Schobel, Akers and no KR/PR.

If good moves are made to upgrade several positions on both sides of the ball and most importantly the ST and the young guns continue to mature/produce, I think we could win with McNabb at QB. If the decision is to trade him and rebuild around Kolb, I will understand. If the decision is to bring McNabb back next year because Kolb is not ready, I will understand. If the decision is to trade McNabb and give Feeley the job until Kolb is ready, I will disagree with the FO.

Either way, it is clear now to me I either over-estimated the talent level on this team or under-estimated the impact of the transition we are going through and that none of the current QB could have led this team deep into the playoffs like I envisioned.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Completely agree wtih VFK. FO will not overreact - and we can all be grateful for that. Now if there are some quality FA's out there, pls pls pls be aggressive and go after them right away (a la Runyan and Kearse, hopefully with better results than the latter has produced).
                                Russian reporters to Bobby Clarke: Can you imagine hockey without fights?
                                Robert Earle Clarke's response: Can you imagine vodka without alcohol?

Comment

Working...
                                X